Questions 1- 3
Complete the sentences below. Write NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS for each answer.
Dr. Smith: Now I’d like to talk about something that is not talked about often but that is actually quite common: depression. Most people don’t like to talk about this subject (Q1) often considering it a taboo subject best left for people to deal with themselves. The fact is, however, that the best solution for depression is relating to other people. And we all feel depressed at one time or another in our lives, and there is no end to the reasons why people feel depressed.
Some people are depressed because of family problems, such as between a husband and wife. (Q2) while others suffer from low self-esteem. Yet others are suffering deep and prolonged depression because of the loss of a loved one. And yet others have a physical or physiological source of depression. Regardless of the source, depression can affect every area of our lives.
It can drain our energy for living, diminish our interest in everyday activities, and, if serious enough, even lead to thoughts of despair or even suicide. (Q3) In fact, depression is the leading cause of suicide. And because people don’t want to talk about their depression, it is often very hard to spot. But no matter the cause or severity, we can learn to cope with the dark clouds that come into our lives and recover to live in normal and healthy relationships with other people.
This is the end of Exercise 1. You now have half a minute to check your answers. (30 seconds pause)
1. Prolonged:(adj) continuing for a long time.
2. Drain :(v) to make someone very tired.
3. Diminish:(v) to reduce or be reduced in size or importance.
4. Despair:(n) the feeling that there is no hope and that you can do nothing to improve a difficulties or worrying situation.
5. Suicide:(n) the act of killing yourself intentionally, or a person who has done this.
6. Spot: to recognize or pick out.
7. Severity:(n) the condition of being very bad, serious, unpleasant, or harsh.
8. To cope with:(phrase) to face and deal with responsibilities, problems or difficulties, especially successfully or in a calm or adequate manner.
ویدئو پاسخ تشریحی